And I don’t mean Dallas. Or divorce actually. But I’m guessing you’re singing the song now aren’t you? Be prepared to have it stuck in your head for the rest of the day. You’re welcome.
Anyway, the Big D I am referring to is Delay. Let me just say that I am beyond sick of hearing that word. In my last post I said we had received some upsetting news and promised to let you all know what’s going on. On Tuesday we got an email from the director of our China program saying that the US Consulate in Guangzhou will be moving buildings. They will be suspending services on July 15th and will not resume business until July 24th. The last day for adopted children’s immigrant visa interviews will be July 11th. Here is where the problem lies:
If everything continues to move along the timeline as we planned (not sure why we still continue to plan things in our minds), we would leave for China around the 5th of 6th of July. That would put us in EB’s province the week of July 8th-12th and in Guangzhou the following week. Obviously that throws a big monkey wrench in our plans since the Consulate will be closed the week we need to be there. That’s not the only problem though…
The CCCWA has implemented a new database, and during their transition they were not processing any paperwork. The CCCWA is where dossiers are submitted, travel approval (TA) is issued, etc. Within the last few days, they have finally started processing paperwork again. However, due to the two-week shutdown they are quite backlogged as you can imagine. But the story doesn’t end there…
June 10th-12th, the CCCWA will be closed for the Dragon Boat Festival. Unfortunately, I am not kidding. You just can’t make this stuff up.
As you can see, it has been one delay after another and I don’t really see things picking up speed. Right now the only way to avoid not leaving for China until mid-July is if we were to receive TA in about a weeks time. TA typically comes in 2-4 weeks once Article 5 is picked up from the Consulate and couriered to the CCCWA. It would be a miracle if the CCCWA managed to process all the backlogged paperwork after having been shutdown for 2 weeks plus these 3 days for the dragon boat races. I’m not saying it can’t be done, but I also don’t feel too confident it will happen. But Jeremy and I welcome your prayers and I thank those of you who have already been praying that we’ll get to China soon!
Our sweet SW Mallory answered about a million questions for me via email Friday. She told me she’s currently waiting on confirmation of our Article 5 drop off and pick up dates. (The Article 5 process was initiated when Lifeline emailed our NVC Cable Letter to China, which was May 24th. It should have been dropped off at the Consulate within two business days after the letter was emailed). Mallory has also reminded us that receiving TA in two weeks is not the norm (even though many families have gotten quick TA lately) and that 3-4 weeks is the average. Therefore, we could have fallen into all the closing dates anyway, which is a total bummer.
I’m sure that all sounds about as clear as mud, but hopefully I’ve explained it so that you all can understand where we are. It can be difficult to figure out all the many processes, acronyms and timelines. I mean, it’s hard for me to comprehend most of the time (hence all my questions to poor Mallory) and I’m the one in the middle of it!
As you can imagine, I had several tough days last week. I am feeling a little better now however, and I know it’s because people are remembering us in prayer. That means the world to Jeremy and me and we appreciate your concern more than you know. As always, I’ll update when we learn more.